Friday, November 04, 2005

Do You See What I See?

Can you feel it? Are you starting to notice the signs? Perhaps not. Perhaps you're not even looking for said signs because you wouldn't believe they exist already. Or, even worse, perhaps you HAVE noticed the signs and you are now shaking your head in utter disbelief. Either way, it's that time of year yet again. In the musical words of Andy Williams: "It's the holiday season, so whoop dee doo."

Perhaps you think I'm lying to you. You might be thinking as you read this, "What a waste of internet, there's no way the holiday season has started already, it's only the beginning of November." Well let me throw you into further disbelief, the holiday season actually started just before Halloween, even if it was much less noticable then.

Before we go on and I show you all this evidence I've spent countless hours (seconds) looking for, let's remember last year. What was with last year huh?? I was barely done digesting my turkey and mashed potatoes when the local radio station announced that they were from that moment until New Years, playing purely Christmas music. Personally, I was overjoyed, I was ready to get into the Christmas spirit. But I think most people wanted to finish their stuffing.

This year it's starting even earlier. Maybe the radio stations aren't playing around the clock Christmas songs just yet, but, day-by-day, it's becoming clearer that the holidays are here. So far I've seen a total of two Christmas commericals and I don't watch that much TV. Stores are getting out their Christmas stock and setting up their Christmas displays (but that's mostly because nobody likes the giant turkey and uptight pilgrim displays). And, most of all, holidays like Haunakah and Ramadan are already being ignored and overshadowed by a jolly fat man. (No letters please).

But perhaps the most damning evidence of all is my MP3 player. It's gone and filled itself with 100 Christmas songs and nothing else. Everytime I turn it on, my ears are treated to the joy of chipmunks asking for a hoola-hoop and Frosty once again thumpity thumping (look at him go). I don't know how it happened, and I don't know how movies like Elf and The Santa Clause keep finding their way in my DVD player. All I know is that it's infected me and that bubble of Christmas spirit within me has already started to expand.

By the way, if you're reading this and disagree that there are signs of Christmas already, look again. Is THIS not a sign of Christmas? "Oh...crap," you're thinking. I'm sorry. But cheer up, IT'S CHRISTMAS!


- Rian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home