Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Will You Go See This Movie?

I'm not in such a lighthearted mood as I usually am when I write these things. I generally try to keep it fun and less than serious. Right now, however, I'm feeling everything the opposite of light hearted and fun. I'm feeling a little angry, a little annoyed, and deeply upset.

It's impossible to ignore that today the movie World Trade Center comes out. I took a poll on MSN.com that asked "Will You Go See This Movie?". 15% of people will wait to see it on DVD, 42% of people said they will see it, and 43% of people said they will not. Hollywood has given itself a pretty bad repuation over the years, and no doubt that factors in to the winning 43% of people who don't want to see this movie. I'm sure the fact that Oliver Stone, a 9/11 conspiracy buff and notorious cliche Hollywood director, does not help the movie either. Yet, Oliver Stone didn't become popular for being biased and sub-par in his movie making. People are afraid that Hollywood is going to destroy something that should be honored and remembered. Many people are afraid that's it's too soon. It has, however, been 5 years now. 5 years is not too soon. We are at the point now where we've moved on. Sure, we lament the loss of so many lives, but we've learned to deal with it, as all people eventually do. There will never come a time in any of our lives when we'll be able to think about that horrible Tuesday without choking up, getting goosebumps, or staring depressingly into space. So, if people are trying to avoid that, they're fighting a losing battle. Ignorning the truth of that day doesn't make it easier to understand or easier to bear. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to, as soon as possible. Just watching the preview I get choked up, get goosebumps, and stare into space. This is why i'm feeling deeply upset.

As I do with most movies when I'm thinking about them and I'm online at the same time, I typed over to IMDb.com to check out its page. As I am wont to do once I reach these pages, I scrolled down to the forum posts made by the idiots of the world. The first one I clicked on started as a nice discussion but quickly moved into the realm of conspiracy and "I hate President George Bush" liberals. The feelings of people ranged between abosulte conspiracy nut, open-minded man on a soap box, anti-conspiracy realist, and "all you mother fuckers should just shut up now" psycho. I found it amazing how some people could take the smallest bit of anything and turn it into evidence of a conspiracy. I checked out some sites people provided because I like to have all the information I can, and mostly I found that the people who support these theories WANT there to be a conspiracy as if that would be better than what we all know as the truth. One guy uses history as a metaphor, referring to the Boston Tea Party that took place before the Revolution. He said that these people dressed up as Indians when they threw the tea into the harbor. He said clearly the Bristish never believed that Indians actually did this because they would've used some disguise and they wouldn't benefit from the tea's destruction at all. He goes on to say that since it was clearly middle eastern terrorists who caused 9/11 that it couldn't have been them at all and that if we want to figure out who really did it, we should research who benefited the most from this atrocity. Later another person agrees with him saying, "Yes, whoever benefited the most is the person behind 9/11." This is a ridiculous way to think about these attacks and I hope nobody else ever does. For one, the Muslim extremists who did this were not looking to benefit. These people feel they are fighting a war agianst the enemies of their god. They hate us and are trying to kill us. Our death is their greatest joy. In that sense, they benefited more than anybody. Two, I would hardly call the 9/11 attacks succesful. I once heard that there were many more plans that were supposed to have been hijacked and thrown at American institutions, but things did not go off as planned. All planes were forced to land and pilots were taking extra measures to assure safety. So saying whoever benefited the most is the person behind it is foolhardy since whoever was behind it didn't get the result he expected and therefore would not have benefited as he wanted to. More so than any of this though are the people who say that because the White House lied, hid evidence, and covered things up, that they are clearly hiding something or, at best, are fueling the conspiracy themselves no matter how untrue it may be. I'm sorry, but these people are fooling themselves if they think it's our government's responsibilty to be open and honest with us about everything. Thank God that the competent people who run this country keep secrets and hide things. Just because the goverenment lies to you or doesn't tell you something, doesn't mean there's something sinister going on. A government can not run on open honesty. It is not the responsibility of the government to hold your hand and walk you through all their ideas and decisions. There are some things that are best left secret, there are some things that are better for the public not to know. This is why I'm annoyed.

The worst people on these forums though are those that think the lies of President Bush are a greater atrocity than 9/11 was. The people who have no honor and respect for those who lost their lives in 9/11 because, "people die every day." The people from other countries who think America brough this on themselves. This is why I'm angry.

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel it's still a bit too soon for this. Perhaps five years is not such a long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home