Thursday, April 20, 2006

PLAYOFFS!!

Now if you've been reading along since I started last fall, then you'd know by now that I love poker, I love Christmas, elevators are uncomfortable, I Wiki-Surf (and I coined that phrase), I support the drinking habits of one Hermoine Granger (aka Emma Watson), I plan to become the King of England one day, I made up my own code to fool the CIA, I fought a vicious battle against the flu, and, most importantly, I'm the reason for Harry Potter's success. What you may not yet know is that I'm also a huge fan of both the NBA and the NHL.

I've always been a hockey fan. That's what happens when you grow up in Detroit in the mid-90s. I don't know many people who AREN'T hockey fans around here. I played hockey for a long time and I still enjoy it whenever I can. I'm proud to say I've never been a bandwagon Red Wings fan, and I've supported them for a long long time. As for basketball, well I kind of am a bandwagon fan, but I can tell you now, that even if the Pistons go on some God forbidden skid for the next decade, I'll still be supporting them.

This year, however, is a year of jubliation. The mighty Red Wings have gone against all the hushed whispers from so-called "analysts" and have shown their might this season. They're not just the league point leaders, they're so far ahead of everybody else that it's not fair. Everybody, the Wings included, should expect nothing less than victory this year. Our team is better than it has ever been. My favorite players are Brendan Shanahan and Henrik Zetterberg...just FYI.

As for the Pistons, they're a powerhouse this year as well. They also hold the best record in their league and have everybody else shaking in their boots. We got robbed last year of a repeat championship performance. This year, things will be different. San Antonio can't even touch us, no team can. Poor Shaq down in Miami, whining that they get no respect and that they'll see us in the conference finals. Well, if my picks are right, they won't get quite that far.

This brings us to the point in this post where I share for you my predictions for the playoffs of both the NBA and the NHL. Read on.

---------------------------------------------------------

First...the NBA EAST

First round: Detroit vs Milwauke
This is a joke, Detroit will win it in 6.

First round: Miami vs Bulls
I don't think the Bulls can pull off this upset, they're just too overmatched. Miami in 5.

First round: New Jersey vs Indiana
I'm surprised Indiana even made the playoffs. There's no way they can compete with the Nets. New Jersey in 5.

First round: Cleveland vs Washington
LeBron wants it bad, so bad that I don't think the Wizards won't be able to stop him. Cleveland will be pulling out all the stops. Cleveland in 7.

Second round: Detroit vs Cleveland
As much as LeBron wants it, the Pistons defense is just too good. If we can shut down Kobe, LeBron has no chance. I like the kid, but it's not going to happen this year. Detroit in 5.

Second round: New Jersey vs Miami
Shaq isn't exactly young anymore. New Jersey just has too much hustle in them and only Wade can keep up. Unfortunately, Wade won't be enough to keep Miami going. Nets in 7.

Conference Finals: Detroit vs New Jersey
New Jersey is a tough team and it will be a tough series. However, I think Detroit wants it more. If on form, Detroit will push New Jersey aside like a little kid. Detroit in 6.


Now...the NBA WEST

Round one: San Antonio vs Sacramento
Poor Sacramento, no amount of prepration or prayer will save them. Spurs in 4.

Round one: Phoenix Suns vs LA Lakers
As great as Steve Nash is and as far as he's taken this team, I think Kobe and Smush will really prove a challenge. In fact, Lakers in 6.

Round one: Denver Nuggets vs LA Clippers
I find the Nuggets to be far too inconsistent. Elton Brand will really rally his team past them on this one. I don't really consider this an upset. Clippers in 6.

Round one: Dallas vs Memphis
Despite the fact it's number four seed versus number five seed, I think the skill level between these two teams is a mile apart. Dallas in 5.

Round two: San Antonio vs Dallas
This is one I thought about for a long time. I think this will be a hard matchup for both teams. In the end though, I think Dallas will come out victorious. Dallas in 7.

Round two: LA Clippers vs LA Lakers
California is going to love this if I'm right. Still, this is a no brainer...Clippers...Lakers...I think we all agree, even if we don't like it. Lakers in 5.

Conference Finals: Dallas vs LA Lakers
Kobe is good, but I don't think he's this good. I think I'm being gracious to even predict the Lakers making it this far. They're outmatched, period. Dallas in 6.


AND NOW...NBA FINALS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

DETROIT PISTONS VS DALLAS MAVERICKS
Now honestly, do you really think Dallas can beat the Pistons? Now I know I'm biased, but Dallas has no chance. The only reason they got this far is because of the seeding in the West. Pistons in 4.


---------------------------------------------------------

And now...the NHL WEST

Round one: Detroit vs Edmonton
Seriously? The Oilers? Detroit in 6.

Round one: Dallas vs Colorado
Now I may hate the Avalance (like any good Wings fan) but that's not why I'm picking them to lose. The Stars are just too good this year. Dallas in 6.

Round one: Calgary vs Anaheim
Really? The Ducks made it without Kariya? Just kidding, they're a good team...just not good enough. Calgary in 5.

Round one: Nashville vs San Jose
No contest here. Nashville in 4.

Round two: Detroit vs Nashville
What a storied season these two teams have had against each other. It's not going to be easy. Detroit in 7.

Round two: Flames vs Dallas
Oh this is going to be good, I almost want to see this more than Wings versus Predators (almost). Dallas in 7.

Conference Finals: Detroit vs Dallas
Dallas is a great team. Detroit is better. Detroit in 6.


And now...the NHL EAST

Round one: Ottawa vs Tampa Bay
Not only will the Lightning fail to hold their title, they'll go down hard. Ottawa in 5.

Round one: Carolina vs Montreal
Oh sure, the Canadian teams are all good, but Carolina is always a force to be recokned with. Carolina in 4. Sorry chaps.

Round one: New Jersey vs NY Rangers
Jersey versus New York huh? That's interesting. In the end though, the Rangers will not be able to live up to the days of Messier. Devils in 5.

Round one: Buffalo vs Philadelphia
I love the Flyers, but they suck. Fortunately for them, the Sabres suck worse. Flyers in 7.

Round two: Ottawa vs Philadelphia
The Flyers have no chance against a team like the Senators. Ottawa in 4.

Round two: New Jersey vs Carolina
Again, the Hurricanes are just too good to be slowed up by the Devils. Carolina in 5.

Conference Finals: Ottawa vs Carolina
I can't wait to watch how this unfolds. Really I have no idea who will come out victorious in this one, they're both top quality teams. Since I have to pick though...Carolina in 6.


AND NOW...LORD STANLEY AWAITS THE NHL FINALS

DETROIT RED WINGS VS CAROLINA HURRICANES
A rematch!! I've been waiting for this for a long time. It's not going to happen this year Carolina. You just can't stop the powerhouse that is the Detroit Red Wings. Yzerman is going out with BANG! Red Wings in 6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home