Tuesday, February 07, 2006

When You Gonna Ring It?

I don't buy CDs, but if I did, then THIS ONE is definitely one that I would buy.

There's a certain quality about the White Stripes that you have to love. Many other (damn near all) groups have a certain type of music they make and that they'll continue to make until everybody gets bored with them. This is fine, a lot of great music comes out this way. The White Stripes, however, don't seem to want to fall into a genre. Their earlier stuff is not music that I like because it's a little reminicent of hard rock or heavy metal. This new CD is fun. There's something on there for everybody, and in my case, there's many somethings on there I like.

You should definitely go out and buy this CD...I won't be, but Lord knows that one of us should be paying for this music.

Here are the songs I would pick out of this CD to own for free (if only there was a way...)
- My Doorbeel
- The Denial Twist
- I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)
- Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)
- Little Ghost

----------------------------------------------------

In other news...there are Muslims burning Danish embassies because they're angry of a cartoon that appeared in a Danish newspaper back in September. Apparently the comic has a representation of Mohammud in it, which is a big no-no in the Muslim world. I feel compelled to use the word 'fopah' but only because I've never used it before.

I personally haven't seen this comic because every news program (even the fake ones like The Daily Show and the Colbert Report) refuse to show it. This is probably due to the fact that the stations would get ridiculous amounts of mail but they are also probably fearing for their very lives.

This is the point I want to touch on. As sacred as an image of Mohammud is to you Muslims, I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't want you to riot, burn, and murder just because some...uh..infadel (?) decided to draw a picture of his face that probably isn't accurate in the first place. I'm Christian and last time I checked, Christians and Muslims had the same God (the God of Noah, Moses, and Abraham) and I'm pretty sure he's against the extreme action that many Muslims have taken to show their anger.

Now, I realize that these extremists aren't representative of Muslims everywhere, but they seem to be rather plentiful in the middle east. It's really something that I don't understand. You don't see large communities of AK-47 wielding Baptists and you don't see Jews strapping bombs to themselves and blowing craters in the streets of Isreal. So what is it that makes Muslims want to kill everybody that doesn't agree with them? Are we not reading the same "Old Testament"?

The worst that would happen from a caricature of Jesus using the Lord's name in vain is a bunch of people writing harsh letters to the newspaper and the artist...and probably Pat Robertson saying the man should be exiled or hanged...and then apologizing about it later. The last thing I'd expect it some Lutheran fundementalist burning the guy's house down and killing his cat.

Can't we all just get along? No, no we cannot. Can't we all just tolerate? Maybe someday.

Stop reading.


- Rian

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. "Faux pas" is a fun term.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home