Monday, August 14, 2006

Warning -- Not For The Mature

This video was popular quite a few years ago throughout much of the world (but mostly Japan and North America). My sister first showed it to me quite a few years ago. Like most people, when I first saw it, I thought it was a little weird and a little creepy. The song was catchy enough though. Still, I watched it again later and the more times I watched it the more ridiculous it became, and the more ridiculous it became, the more funny it was. Eventually, it got to the point where it became the funniest video ever. I love seeing the looks on people's faces the first time they watch it, it's priceless.

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this back now is because I recently came across it again, but this time I watched one with subtitles. I also learned that the video was a satiracal comedy sketch about Japan's ailing government. Despite that fact that the video is fake, it still became massively popular, and for good reason. In fact, it became so popular that Jimmy Kimmel invited the six guys who did it onto his late night show. I watched that video too, and it was even more funny.

When you watch these videos I want you to watch the one without subtitlies first. The fact that you can't understand what is going on was part of the reason the video became so popular in America and why I found it so funny. After you've come to appreciate the original version, then go on and watch the one with subtitles. While watching the one with subtitles, remember that it's a satiracal sketch poking fun at Japan's government (like SNL often does here). The lyrics are funny, but they're even more funny when you somewhat understand the context they're being used in.

YATTA! (without subtitles) - By Happatai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-feLDOpJfYg

If you watch the one with subtitles first, I'm warning you that you'll ruin it for yourself. If you've already seen Yatta and know what it is, then, by all means, watch the subtitled version.

YATTA! (with subtitles) - By Happatai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9rWFZesV8s

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home